[3830] SS CW W1VE(@K2LE/1) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gerry@w1ve.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1VE(@K2LE/1) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:49:59 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1VE
Operator(s): W1VE
Station: K2LE/1

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  230
   40:  601
   20:  145
   15:   37
   10:    4
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My first SS, as I recall, was in 1976.   I had a 40m dipole at about 30 feet
above the ground at the apex.  The rig was an Eico Seven-Drifty-Three.  I had a
Heathkit HD-10 keyer.  I was in heaven.

The station I used in this year's running was quite a bit bigger and
sophisticated -- but I'd have to say the thrill remains the same.  This is a CW
person's contest.   A true blast for those who love the CW art and contesting.

K2LE's Vermont QTH has a Flamethrower on 40m...  a 4-element Optibeam at 100
ft.  As the saying goes, their ain't no meters like 40m, and for east-coast
Sweepstakes, it remains the "money" band. (Some would say 80m, but not for me.)
 I spent many hours CQing there, and was rewarded with 47 of the 80 mults there,
including VY1EI and VE4EAR (My last two mults).   Surprisingly, the next to last
two were VT (!) and RI.

I attempted to get SO2R running with Andy's DXDoubler (reconfiguring the
station from it's M/2 duties in CQWW SSB), however, I just could not pull it
off before the start of the contest, so I spent another test SO1R.   I also had
an issue with my internet connection, so I could not post to Getscores.  Not to
be outdone, and for motivation, I watched Getscores on my Android Smartphone.
About 20 miles as the crow files (and a dit away) was Dennis, W1UE, operating
from K1TTT in WMA.   Dennis and I were neck-and-neck for my entire operating
time.   Even when I felt down, I kept going trying to stay ahead of him.   Due
to work commitments Monday, I could only do a 21.5 hour operation.  Anyway, it
looks good for a new VT all-time record in High Power.

One interesting observation:  Skimmer and Code Readers are bringing new blood
into Sweepstakes.  I had some incredible packet pileups.  In order to manage
them, I typically increase my speed. (I tend to be fast; general CQ at 36 wpm,
packet pileups up to 42 or 44 wpm).  Guess what?  Practically no one asked for
fills or QRS.  Even guys with KB?XXX calls 09 checks!  How?  Check the soapbox
-- these guys are using code readers and skimmer.  I think it's awesome that
they use the modern tools available.

Thanks to Andy, K2LE for the use of his most excellent station; also thanks all
the QSOs and great fun!

See you all in the SSB frey from W2PV @ K1TTT (A Multiop with NJ1F)

73,

Gerry, W1VE