[3830] SS SSB KB4KBS SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, scottstraw@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KB4KBS SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:42:27 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KB4KBS
Operator(s): KB4KBS
Station: KB4KBS

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:   62
   40:   50
   20:   54
   15:   23
   10:    0
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

WOW!! I nearly did it!  192 Q's and 78 Sections was far beyond my wildest
expectations.  I could have had a clean sweep if only...

I never worried about finding a SFL station, and I missed good opportunities.
I heard several NL stations but never stay and slogged it out with the big guys
- I had already conceded them because at that time the possibility of working
all 80 was not conceivable.

At 00:30 I went out to dinner with my wife knowing ath WV, SFL, and NL were not
going to happen. I got home at 02:40 and went up to the radio to start the shut
down process. Shure enough, there was a WV station on 80M in the General band -
BANG! I got em (thanks N8RAT).  I had been listening to Mark W4SVO in SFL but he
was just too light to work.  No other SFL station was evident in the general
band, nor were there any NL stations up high.

I tried to use N1MM and the spotting clusters to my best advantage and I have
to say that they were a big part of my success.  I do need to modify my station
for a headset, but all in good time.  My wife thinks I need to get a soundproof
booth first - she is convinced that I was trying to call Canada sans-radio at
01:30L and wonders that the neighbors didn't call and complain.

Later in the contest I found myself "cherry picking" instead of systematically
wiping the list.  I attribute this to inexperience and intimidation as I was
doing so much better than I expected I didn't know what to do with myself.
Obviously I'll know better next time.

Thanks to all of the South East Contest Club members who gave me regional
contacts and all of the kind souls whose call signs are in my log.

PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR LOGS TO LOTW.  To have WAS in a weekend confirmed would be
the sprinkles on the icing on the cake for me!

73,

KB4KBS
Roswell, GA