[3830] SS SSB K1DG Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dougk1dg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K1DG Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:56:59 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K1DG
Operator(s): K1DG
Station: K1DG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 4

------------
  160:
   80:   9
   40:   8
   20:  27
   15:  37
   10:
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I operated the first 3 hours Saturday afternoon from Maine as N1LI, hoping for a
sweep. Turns out 3 hours is not enough time to do that...only got to about 72
sections (I confess I did some CQing, so I had about 200 Qs). Amazed at all the
activity from KL7...must have worked 6-8 of them.

Came home to NH Saturday night and got on Sunday afternoon to try
again...decided to try for 80-in-80.

I was doing OK, and had VE8EV in the log at #16. A while later, I heard VY1EI
(who I had worked as my #1 Saturday from Maine), and just could not resist the
temptation to work another NT to make up for all the years I missed it.

Doing this on Sunday is hard...waiting for a guy who *might* be in a needed
section to work someone so you can hear his section when his rate is slow  is
maddening. A few times, I gave up and asked "What section are you in?".

So I ended up after 4 hours and 2 minutes with 81 in 80, a slightly higher
score than all the 80-in-80 guys, and will be sending for a mug.

Last 5: MI, WPA, QC, NNY, KY.

I have mugs from almost every year they have been offered.  I recall one
particular year I did *not* get a mug. I chased a NE guy who was S&Ping up the
whole length of the 20M band, then found him on 40, chased him up that band,
then back to 20M. I would hear him work a guy, then I would move up 1-2 kHz,
and call him, but could not get him to call me. I must have heard 30 of his
QSOs. Maybe he was doing the same thing, and already had NH. I had 79-in-79
that year. Argh.