[3830] SS SSB VE4EAR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE4EAR Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:49:28 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23:58
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  256
   40:  215
   20:  747
   15:  254
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

Started with a goal of 1600Q's and fell short of that. In hindsight not sure
what I could have done differently to make the additional contacts. Possibly an
error in taking my last half hour off time at 0015 Sunday evening. However by
that time the rate had dropped to less than 35Q's per hour with the last hour
being a painful 20Q's.

Managed a lot more Q's on 80m than I had planned. 40m went long early and
perhaps I stayed on 20m too long. I stayed where the rate was and 20m produced
until someone switched the band off around 2300z.

15m was a surprise. Managed good rates there to the east/west coasts and south
Texas. When the rates dipped it was back to 20m where the skip was unusually
short at times, good signals as short as 500 miles.

Finding and keeping a frequency is an art and certainly tests the patience at
times. I finally experienced my first occasion where a couple of non-contesters
decided to cause deliberate interference. Cranking their compressors and making
random CQ's 500Hz below me. I moved up and they followed. What can you do, it's
just another obstacle.

Finished this one mentally and physically exhausted. Running two radios and
trying to pull callsigns from the pileups with the huge QRM for 24 hours is not
as easy as it sounds. My accolades to VY2ZM and the others that rack up 300k+
points. A significant feat worthy of recognition.

Congratulations to all those that achieved their sweeps. Welcome to all those
with checks of 10. To those QRP stations, I have a few aspirins left in the
bottle that may help...you have my respect for running QRP power in
sweepstakes.

I missed the sweep by 1! Couldn't find another VE4 to call.

Hope we made it into your log!

73
Ed