[3830] SS SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:59:25 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   38
   40: 1004
   20: 1226
   15:    4
   10:    0
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a difference 2 weeks makes!

I was totally handcuffed by condx during SS CW and not all that "up" about even
getting on for SS Phone.  And then 20M stays short, long and in-between all
Sunday morning and afternoon from here producing rates I've never seen from the
NE part of the USA/Canada in an SS contest.  From what I can see, I had almost
as many Q's during the last 12 hours of operating time as I did in the first 12
hours (1115 versus 1157) - go figure....who could have ever predicted that one?

I mean, how does one come from about 229 in back of W6YI near the start of the
evening on Saturday to finish more than plus 100 at the end of the damned
thing?  I must have been transported to an alternate universe this weekend.
That's all I can say...

About mid-day on Sunday I started to notice the rate meter had not dropped at
all (and it did not srart to drop until about 22z on Sunday when 20m started to
fade out 1.5 hours after my sunset.)  This was enough motivation to push as hard
as I could to the end and I never got out of the chair until it was all over -
not even for a minute.

And, it was not Saturday night that was the key in this one - my 0900z total
was about the same as it usually is, eg: typically 1100 or so when I take a
break.  This time it was up a little to 1157 when I stopped.  Not significant
at all in terms of where I ended up....just about normal I thought at the
time.

My expectations going to bed were that all the great ops out WEST would just
blow past us out here in the East on 15 and 20 on Sunday afternoon like they
usually do -- but this time that just did **not** happen.

It seems the propagation on Sunday from Maine to VA all day long from here on
20M made the real difference for me -  as I must have been just far enough away
from these areas to have been able to take advantage of it -- with them being
just outside of my "skip zone" for most of the day.

This just NEVER happens in an SS contest - at least not from here.

Thanks to all those who called in to make this possible.  I am literally
stunned....someone please wake me up!

73 JEFF VY2ZM/K1ZM