[3830] CQWW CW N6RV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6RV SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:46:36 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 30.75
Radios: SO2R

  160:   11     7        7
   80:   46    16       23
   40:   76    22       41
   20:  246    31       70
   15:  241    29       62
   10:   62    14       27
------------------------------
Total:  682   119      230  Total Score = 641,462

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Flex 5000A Barefoot
KT36XA @ 80 ft.
KT34XA @ 52 ft.
40/80 Loop
160 Shunt Fed Tower
Writelog

48 hours of S&P is exhausting. I tried to keep the BIC... It was tough! I had
two run periods with less than 25 Qs each! The wind kicked up and the tower was
cranked down on Sunday. In spite of that I worked Europeans with the 40 meter
loop laying on the roof! I have two SteppIr antennas that are ready to go up.
One with 40 meters so it should be much easier next year! The old antennas are
tired and need to be reconditioned.

With the exception of weak European openings the bands were in good shape. 10
opened up to Africa on Sunday. I followed ZD8O as he moved HK0GU up to 10 from
15 and caught 3 multipliers at once! There is just to much going on for one
person to cover all the bands. Maybe I need four radios with panadapters so I
can monitor all the bands and jump instantly jump between them. then I would
need 4 arms and two heads!

Using the Flex 5000A is very labor intensive. Moving between the logging
program and the SDR is difficult. It requires at least a key stroke between
each qso in S&P. Since tuning is accomplished in software when the focus is on
the logging program you can not tune the radio. Most of the contest is point
and click but the weak stations are often missed because they are in the noise
and do not show up on the display. The interface between the Flex and Writelog
needs tweaking. It does not recognize the second receiver so if you want to
even check if you worked a station you have to transpose the bands between the
main receiver and the sub receiver. One mistake and you logged the station on
the wrong band. That would be difficult to do since you physically have to
point and click to associate the transmitter with the second receiver. It would
not be so difficult to switch back to a regular radio just the Flex has so much
potential of being great and the problems are real deal breakers. At least this
time there were no exception faults. I only had to reboot the SDR software four
times.