[3830] CQWW CW WD5R(N5ECT) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd5r@hughes.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WD5R(N5ECT) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:21:26 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WD5R
Operator(s): N5ECT
Station: WD5R

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: ar
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  212    21       58
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

In the past Iâ??ve never given much thought to the â??all bandâ?? contests
because our only contest antenna on the farm is our 160 mtr vertical.

Friday evening was no exception. Just wanted to take the opportunity to test
the setup and be sure everything was ready for the serious 160 stuff.

Iâ??d never wanted to S/P  because it required  wearing elbow pads and carrying
a  big knife between my teeth. After watching K5GO  and N5DX  operate at this
station I was forced to admit that if I was going to bring my score up Iâ??d
have to start using  S/P. (would also help if I could copy code like those
guys)
Obviously I was late to the game and needed practice..

Band was not wall to wall with serious U.S. contesters  so it was easy  to find
some action.

After three or four hours I decided the band must be in really good shape
because Iâ??d never worked  so many  DX stations with my  â??beaconâ?? type
contesting..

One of my best receive antennas , I call my ZED ZED special,  phased wires ,
850 ft long and 375 ft spacing looking NE. I call it the ZED ZED because itâ??s
the one that VE1ZZ   uses to wake me up  around daylight. Worked so well weâ??ve
put up a second one about ¼ mile closer to ZZ.

Sunday morning was first time Iâ??ve had anything close to a â??run â?? with JA
signals. Really lights up our morning  to have so many call in.

ZL8X just wouldnâ??t let me screw up my log entry .

Only two VKâ??s,  VK6GX and VK6HD.
They had to throw rocks at me to get my attention.

Oh, first thing Friday evening I tried a CQ and an â?? HI â?? station came
back.
I was so screwed up with my newly revised log program he was gone before I
could recover.

Absolutely no outside help.

If anyone is interested  in seeing our setup just send us an email.
Marlene says, â?? If youâ??d like to come by during a contest,
no advance notice required, just bring your own  watt  meter  .â??
She will provide cake and cookies.

Doug, n5ect
Cw op at WD5R