[3830] CQWW CW VA3DF SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dferris1@cogeco.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VA3DF SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:42:24 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:  154    11       32
   40:  160    15       56
   20:  230    23       72
   15:  165    15       73
   10:   19     9       14
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Ever have one of those contests where you couldn't do anything wrong? This
year's version of CQWW CW will have to be noted with an asterisk in my personal
records!

Got off to my usual pitiful start, things were so bad I actually considered
giving up and forgetting about the contest. However, I decided to just go with
the flow and see what happened. Later on Friday night, the low bands started to
really rock and I coud tell something good was in the works. Worked all night
and ended up with "many" 80 m. qsos -  when you see my 80 m country total at 32
you know this is a good thing!Worked ZL8X Saturday AM on 40 with 2 calls - just
about fell off my chair....then on to 20 and 15. Took minimal off times, never
more than 1 hour at a time until Sunday AM when I decided that working HK0 was
a good omen so I rewarded myself with 3 hours snoozing!

Sunday was just amazing, 20 and 15 were in decent shape and lots of qsos were
made with 1 call - busted pile ups, worked juicy DX, people answered when I was
running, caught the 10 m opening, it doesn't get any better! Talk about good
luck, I needed Asiatic Russia on 20 m for a mult and couldn't work the station
I found on 20 - tuned up the band and sure enough found another Asiatic station
and worked him first call.

No station woes other than a rotor control box that periodically has a stuck
preset button but no issue as I have a spare controller.  The K3's noise
reduction feature worked great - found a sweet setting that made life
comfortable when there was a lot of QRN.

Also found that my new 80 antenna works on DX as well as NA contests so that
means the end of the inverted L for 80 which will find new life as a 160
antenna after suitable adjustments!

Last time I did this contest from my own qth was several years ago so I didn't
have a recent benchmark to aim for but I can tell you the old personal record
is long gone - passed it about Noon Sunday. Took things easy after I passed
that mark and indulged myself by chasing mults on 10 and working Europeans on
40.

Great job by all those who travelled to DX sites - you guys are the best.

All in all, this will be one contest I remember for a long time - well at least
until next year :>)

As usual, it's a jungle out there when you run qrp!

73,

Doug
VA3DF