[3830] CQWW CW N7ZG(@N7WA) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N7ZG(@N7WA) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:47:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7WA

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   39    11       16
   80:  168    24       51
   40:  481    32       99
   20:  538    34      107
   15:  325    28       73
   10:   27    12       14
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

2010 was going to be a 20M Single Band operation at N7WA. My multi-op partner
Guy N7ZG had plans to do his first single-op CQWW CW from his new shack on
Harstene Island but the snow and freezing weather we had right up through
Thanksgiving Day put the kabash on his ability to finish some details. I
had already told him that, if worst came to worst, we could do the test
from my place (and it's fun to do a multi anyway).

Guy brought over his radios (two K3's) Wednesday and we did a final check
out of the system. Everything was looking great. Then, the 3el 40M yagi
stopped rotating. It looked like the pot in the Tic-Ring. Some checking
showed no connection from the wiper terminal. ARGGHH! I did NOT want to
climb Friday morning before the test and I was headed out of town at dawn
for Thanksgiving. Maybe, just maybe it was the cold temps (6 degrees F the
night before and had not warmed up all day)? Anyway, to make a long story
short, on my return late Thursday night, the Tic-Ring was operating normally.
Something thawed. Whew! Bullet dodged.

After some final prep on Friday (160M radials and a beverage), we were off and

running Friday afternoon with few issues. The numbers can speak for themselves.

It was our best outting ever - pretty much doubling any past CQWW CQ efforts
from here. Hats off to loacl op Mitch K7RL who, as a single op, beat our M/S
score (it's the only one I've seen at this time). I imagine there are others.
I do have some personal observations:

- M/S doesn't seem to be much fun after the first 24 hours. At least in our
situation, the mults dry up and there isn't much for the mult station to do
except fill the band maps for the run station. Seems M/2 would be more fun on
the second radio.

- Did I miss something or did a memo go out for stations to start operating
SPLIT? That really messes things up as things can get pretty tight during the
test. Then, there was the station giving contest Q's by call district? Are
these really contesters? I listened to one operating simplex, then I guess it
got too hot for him and he started sending UP UP. I've never experienced pileup
policemen during CQWW until now. Maybe the next thing is to start giving points
up on a net?

- Some hints as to what 10M could really be given a few sunspots. Maybe
someday.

- Even with the wicked pileups out there, it's always amazing what 100 watts
into a tribander on a short tower can do. (Though a kilowatt into a big
antenna
is a heck of a lot more fun ;>).

- It's fun to look at the distribution of Q's from the Pacific Northwest. Out
of nearly 1600 Q's, almost 700 were JA (42%). My thanks to the JA's who come
out to play. It would be little fun without them. (Lest anybody think 700 JA's
is some great advantage, I'll trade that for a short hop over the Atlantic to
Europe any day.) The next biggest chunks are Canada at 5.3% and USA zero
pointers at 3.9%. Europe accounted for only 334 Q's out of the total.

Many thanks to Guy for coming over and playing radios. I hope he has as much
fun from Harstene in 2011.  I'll miss 'em.