[3830] CQWW CW DQ4W M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DQ4W M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 00:20:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DQ4W
Operator(s): DJ4KW DJ4MZ DK9GG DL2MLU DL5RMH DL6RAI
Station: DQ4W

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: JN58VS
Operating Time (hrs): 48:00

  160:  500    15       70
   80: 1255    26      115
   40: 1406    38      143
   20: 1697    39      144
   15:  911    38      150
   10:  179    26       83
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Due to various DX expedition activities (ZL8 & E7) the remaining team at DQ4W
was very small for a serious M/2 entry: With only 2.5 operators left initially,
this was going to be more a "just for fun" style operation.

DL5RMH, had to run the first 10 hours alone and he did a great job! Only then
the rest of the team was able to show up (job, travel and other commitments).
DJ4KW, DK9GG and DL2MLU kindly supported us with food and some hours of
operation both on Saturday and Sunday.

Band conditions made up very well for the shortcomings in operators. The good
propagation kept everyone in high spirits. Both low band and high band
conditions were unexpectedly nice and the QSO and mult totals went up.
At 16 hours into the contest, we managed to leave the red area of the Win-Test
objective file (created from our 2008 M/2 operation).

The station has only two operating positions, but using 20+ years old
technology, we were able to QSY within 1 second to snag a rare one on one of
the extreme bands. With the amount of different antennas available at the flip
of a switch there was always one antenna looking into the right direction. Even
the rotators did not fail on us this time!

The flood of RBN spots flushed incredible amounts of spotting information into
the band maps. Often spots overwrote each other within seconds, so the
operators really had to be lightning fast to catch up. Sometimes we managed to
be the first caller after the spot had shown up - giving us a slight advantage
before the crowd arrived.

It was interesting to watch that with the RBN data fed into Win-Test, a spot
disappeared when stations started calling: The DX spot is overwritten with the
callsign of a caller.

On Sunday morning DL5RMH mentioned we could probably get beyond 10 million -
which looked possible at the time. So we kept our pace throughout the day. 10
meters opened up to the Caribbean on Sunday evening (1 hour after sunset)
providing many of the juicy mults and so at 20z Sunday we reached the 10M
target. Checking results from previous operations this is the first time ever
for this M-2 station to reach over 10M. The previous station record was set in
1999 with 9.07 million points.

It started snowing the last hours of the contest and so driving back home in
the middle of the night became a little adventure.

What a fantastic weekend!