[3830] CQWW CW EA5ON SOSB/15 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dlindsay.vlc@mscspain.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW EA5ON SOSB/15 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 03:56:09 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: EA5ON
Operator(s): EA5ON
Station: EA5ON

Class: SOSB/15 QRP
QTH: Valencia
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  153    16       46
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Torrent Contest Club

Comments:

Plans change! I had originally planned to operate from 3A, but I realized in the
summer that the logistics of that trip were going to be too difficult for the
free time available so Iâ??ll leave that for another year. I then planned to do
SOSB 80m from my usual seawater location here at the port and permission had
already been granted. However a week before the â??test I still didnâ??t have
the CAT issue between my laptop and the IC7000 resolved, I didnâ??t have the
power inverter for the PC, and I didnâ??t have the wire cut for the vertical. A
trip to Switzerland during the week meant that when Friday evening rolled
around, nothing was ready and all I wanted to do was go to bed. I woke up
Saturday and decided on the spur of the moment to do SOSB15 QRP. I sat down and
had a tune across the band, found a clear frequency, and called CQ. The same CAT
issue also affects my IC765 so I was using the paddle. I got a call from YQ5Y
and much as I tried, I couldnâ??t get my mind and my fingers coordinated. I
gave up and went for coffee, somewhat depressed.

After coming back from the supermarket I found myself with time to try again so
I went back and tried some s+p. Seems my mind was more focused and I made a few
QSOs before lunch. I needed my siesta though and didnâ??t get back on until a
couple of hours before the band closed. I ended Saturday with 25 QSOs. Sunday I
got up and things were much better. I took a couple of hours out to go into town
with the XYL but otherwise spent most of the rest of the day on the radio. QRP
can be frustrating at times, missed a few double mults like JA3YBK CQing 579 in
my face, D4C I had to leave so I could go to lunch, HI5N impossible to break the
pile. But there are some real great ears out there and I was sooo surprised that
HD2M replied to me on the fifth or sixth call when he was really down in the
noise. Best moment in the â??test was working my dear friends at N7AT, even
though it was NA2U on the key and he didnâ??t recognize my call. Thanks guys
for my only zone 3 contact. Also I finally worked YQ5Y on his frequency, glad
to get that thorn out of my side.

153 QSOs is a puny total and I know it. But, taking into consideration that my
first CW contest ever was last year and I made 15 QSOs in SOAB LP, it would
seem Iâ??m heading in the right direction. A big THANK YOU to all of those of
you who slowed down from your 40wpm to meet me somewhere around my 15. I really
do appreciate it. I wasnâ??t using the cluster so I had to listen hard to get a
lot of calls. Take note really fast guys, some you I passed by because there
was just no way I could copy your callâ?¦..

Rig ICOM 765
5w
Optibeam OB6-3M at 27m (90 ft)

73 de Duncan EA5ON