[3830] CQWW CW W2ID SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W2ID SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:14:35 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W2ID
Operator(s): W2ID
Station: W2ID

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:   66    16       42
   80:  351    24       93
   40:  391    29      114
   20:  649    29      116
   15:  324    27      112
   10:   62    16       39
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Station: One radio, one amplifier, one Begali paddle.
Single element (verticals) on 160/80/40, with 80 & 40 installed Field Day style
at the start of the contest with very kind help from WA2EQF.
Two elements (Cubex triband 2 el quad up 40') on 20/15/10.
No receive antennas up yet.
Did mostly S&P, but found I seemed to be able to run OK on 15 and 80 the few
times I tried it. At one point, I listened to another W2 running on 20M, and
heard him  working lots of Asian stations that I was completely unable to hear,
so I know that 40' will not be high enough for me on 20M. Also had about 20-25
countries end up not in the log on the low bands because they simply couldn't
hear me.
Wasted the first third of the contest trying to wire up the station for
automated switching of bandfilters and antennas for SO2R. Ended up giving up on
that and decided to use a single radio and switch antennas manually, due to a
defective relay box. (Yes, the correct time to build and test all of this would
have been BEFORE the start of the contest, not DURING the contest.) Also had to
send all CW by hand for the first half, since I (still, since CW Sweepstakes)
couldn't figure out how to get the PC to send code. Eventually it occurred to
me that maybe a Rigblaster I had laying around might work. Sure enough, it did
the trick, once I found the right jumper settings. Wish I could go back and
re-run Sweepstakes using computer generated CW....

This new QTH seems to work very well overall for DX. Should be able to have a
lot of fun once I get some antennas with gain and directivity and get
everything hooked up properly inside. I have huge respect for all of you who
can juggle having a life and a job and still having time to build a station and
make all the pieces work together and keep it all operational.