[3830] CQWW CW GW0ETF SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GW0ETF SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:27:39 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GW0ETF
Operator(s): GW0ETF
Station: GW0ETF

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: North Wales
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:
   80:
   40: 1492    25       92
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1492    25       92  Total Score = 275,535

Club:

Comments:

Excellent weekend!

The first reasonably serious operation as single op from my home location.
Decided on 40m LP because there was a beatable GW record, my amp's not working
at the moment and I was interested to know how long I could go without sleep
and still function.

Put up a single full sized 1/4 wave vertical on a 12m fibreglass Spiderpole
with 2 elevated radials at about 2m (above sheep height!) in the neighbouring
field. Got off to a promising start and was pleased that my fears of not being
able to run using 100w and a simple antenna were unfounded, spending the whole
contest S&Ping would have driven me nuts; I was always able to find a spot to
get a successful run going the whole time and it was great fun.

Disaster very nearly struck 3 hours in when I lost output power on the K3. In
desperation I checked the Elecraft reflector archives and that led me to
discover a faulty internal interconnecting cable; very luckily I had a spare
(tmp) cable and fixed the problem else I would have been gutted to say the
least!

Conditions seemed good throughout, though on Saturday I, and other Eu, were
calling S9 JAs that just continued CQing in my face while on Sunday they, and
some other desirable zones eg 1,21,26,39, called *me* while running; pile-ups
were a definite struggle with 100w and simple antenna and were rarely broken.
Sunday afternoon here went very quiet but then really picked up in the final 5
or 6 hours to a hectic finale; makes you realise just how many contesters
inhabit this planet! For sleep, I had an hour nap on Saturday and two and a
half hours in bed on Sunday from about 0100 with just the customary nodding off
at the dial once. I'd made sure of getting plenty of sleep through the week to
build up some 'credit' (not sure if that works..) and don't have kids around
now to upset that. Pleasantly surprised how well I did though I do feel like
c**p today.