[3830] CQWW CW K5NA SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5NA SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:38:23 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 41

  160:  122    26       88
   80:  205    31      119
   40:  329    39      141
   20:  279    37      144
   15:  286    35      138
   10:   97    22       64
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I spent the weekend DXing. My goal was to work as many multipliers as I could.

When chasing multipliers slowed down, I would go through bandmaps calling
people. I only CQed a few times all weekend and rarely more than for 10 minutes
at a time. I would always leave the frequency to chase another mult that would
pop up.

I can typically do this for 45-46 hours in the chair for the CQWW. But I had
some underground antenna feedline failures and spent all-day Friday testing,
trouble-shooting, replacing, and putting coax connectors on back-up coax for
the problems. So I missed getting my Friday nap before the contest.

As a result I was suffering serious sleep deprivation by 0500Z the second
night. I had managed a 45 minute nap in the chair the first night about 1100Z,
but that wasn't enough. The second night I kept waking up with either my hands
or my head laying on the keyboard with the data entry area full of repeating
characters. And I wasn't functioning well or making good decisions. That
convinced me I needed some serious rest and I went to bed for about 6 hours.

80 and 160M were outstanding with big signals from all over the world. I would
have done better on those bands if I hadn't slept the second night. Over 90
percent of my mults there were accomplished on the first night. This is the
most 80 and 160M countries that I have ever worked in a weekend. But I don't
think I would have broken 100 countries on 160M even if I hadn't slept. But I
might have come close.

This hasn't been a good fall for me in radio contests because there have been a
lot of personal distractions. I will try to do better next year.

As always, this contest is a lot of fun.

73, Richard - K5NA