[3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:38:18 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  123    11       44
   80:  420    17       78
   40:  635    25       95
   20:  872    32      102
   15:  578    23       83
   10:   59    15       38
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a fantastic weekend.  A personal best and also a gross score that is a new
Low Power USA record...just barely.  K1TO's gross score in 2002 was 4,292,973.
However, Dan is a super op and had a really low point reduction to set the
record
which has stood since 2002.  I doubt that my net will stand as a new record
but
it should be close.

Interestingly, my goal was to log the most Qs ever for a low power CQ WW CW
USA
operation. This, from my research was also set by K1TO at 2294.  Well when I
crossed that mark at about 1600Z on Sunday, I set my sights on the actual
score
as well.  I didn't believe it would be possible to hit without a solid 10M EU
run (Dan had 659 - 29 - 112 on 10M that year) but with literally supernatural
low band conditions it became possible (I had almost 1200 Qs on 160 - 40 vs.
Dan's 600 in 2002).

This was actually 2 contest conditions stapled together from my perspective.
- The most fantastic 160 - 40M conditions I have ever experienced in a contest
- 20 - 10M conditions that were decent but not spectacular. 20M closed early,
  no 15M JA or Asia, 10M a couple of EU mults but no real EU opening

Last year I ran well on 20M.  This year I felt I ran equally well but it was
split up more between 20 and 15M as you would expect with improving conditions
on 15M.

Last year, I struggled to get good production running on 80 and felt 40 was
decent but not great.  I never tried running on 160 (in fact have never run
in 160 in any CQ WW contest from the USA).  This year I ran great on 40 and 80
and even decided to do a 160 run and was pleasantly rewarded with about 50
160M
Qs Sunday morning during EU sunrise.  I have never seen the rate meter hit 100
before while CQing on 80M but saw it both mornings in this contest for about
30 - 45 mins each day.  The list goes on for 160 - 40...

40M was sometimes surreal.  I called a station and heard a second station
answer
me at the same time.  The second station?  J28AA for a double.  A few minutes
later I heard ...23.  I am thinking...no way..its 00Z and even if it was 12Z -
13Z, I have never worked a JT on 40M in a contest from W1 land.  2 calls later
I have JT in the log for a double mult as well...amazing.

Great activity and endless EU callers.  Also surprising that with probably 10
hours of combined 160 - 40M CQing, I logged no more than 25 USA calls vs.
probably 700 - 800 Qs (and my 80M array is a bi-directional with the second
lobe covering most of the USA).

A most 73 from N1UR.

Ed