[3830] CQWW CW AO3T(EA3AKY) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ea3aky@ono.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AO3T(EA3AKY) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:43:29 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AO3T
Operator(s): EA3AKY
Station: AO3T

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:  564    13       63
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Wanted to try SOSB on 160m after being 2009 and 2007 as SOSB 40 and 80 and
achiving EA records on both bands. I decided to go portable to the qth used
several times in river Ebro's delta, close to the sea and with vy good ground
as salt water flows under it.

I arrived there on Thursday with my dad, EA3LL, who was going to help me to put
antennas up. It was a lovely day, sunny, about 14C and we spent all day with a
24 meters vertical (16 meters mast and 8 meters fiberglass on top) loaded with
wires with 8 radials above the rice fields. Impedance showed a good 18 ohms
(eznec model was 15) and we got easily 1.0 swr with a L coupler. Tested in rx
it showed s9 noise, which was much more than i remembered from last test i did
there on 160. Well, i thought it was going to be better with rx antennas, so we
went to sleep.

That night we had strong winds abt 100 Km/h and the fiberglass appeared broken
at morning. With the high wind it was not possible to change it so decided to
use the 16m mast alone as tx antenna.

We started to put the rx antenna. Other contest i have installed long beverages
that worked quite well, in spite everbody says me they don't work over good
ground. But it's time consuming and, have you tried to walk over a rice
field??? , so this year decided to try a delta-shaped loop 8.5 x 5 meters, like
ON4UN book shows. I can't say you if it was better or not as when i tried it it
had a terrible noise most of the time s5.

What else may go wrong? Yes, may be worst. I had this noise all the contest
sometimes up to s7. Was nearly impossible to call and hear weak stations, so i
did 95% S&P. The noise was stopping from time to time, biggest period without
it was 20 minutes, and god, the band was great then!

Finished with 564 Q (70 NA, 9 AS, 8 AF) far away from the goal of +1000 Q i
planned, not bad with these problems. Worked everything i could hear calling cq
or answering me. Sorry if you called me and i didn't hear you.

Anyway, important thing is being there, doing radio, doing contest, being 5
days without wife and kids or thinking about work, and enjoying being with my
75 years old dad, talking about radio, contest and planning together what to do
next year :-)

This is my last contest as AO3T. Unfortunately our Ptt have decided not giving
2x1 calls with AN,AM,AO prefixes anymore. Will see if we will get 2x1 calls
with other prefixes.

73 cu in next WW DX CW 2011
Josep, EA3AKY (AO3T)