[3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tg@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W0AIH M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:45:37 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): W0AIH, W0BV, K0TG
Station: W0AIH

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 30.3

Total:  QSOs = 1611  Sections = 80  Countries = 42  Total Score = 421,998

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

About 100 QSO's short of last year.  Matching in the mult count and a clean
sweep in sections.  The sweep is a first! Bob found VE8EV out calling CQ.  He
also snagged PR as he was floating around the band calling others.

We had a couple of technical issues along the way this weekend.  After about 5
hours or so I noticed that the amp output was sagging.  This is on Paul's
Duo-band amp rack.  first down to 1KW, then soon 500 watts and then 200 watts.
Bob took over running while I worked on putting an Alpha in line.  Paul can do
this in his sleep, but was stuck back in the Twin Cities overnight due to the
snow storm. Got that in place and then we were off and running after a while.
Of course this is when the EU's are calling, so timing is everything.  :)

This morning (Sunday) we developed trouble on one of the 4-square systems with
intermittent high SWR.  It is good that Paul has plenty of 4-squares to go
around so we used the other one.  :)  you can just never have too many
4-squares for 160 it seems.  ;)

I had played with Skimmer on reversebeacon.net and looked at our signal reports
in EU and TF while on different antennas.  It seems the Elevated Vertical was
the winner this weekend with better signals into EU than the 4-square.  Not
what one would expect.  But then why would this be any different than other
bands where the stacks out perform the Rhombic one weekend and then another
time the opposite is true.  Reverse Beacon is an interesting tool in many
respects.

the band conditions seemed a bit lighter than last year.  We had about 100+
more QSO's last year then we did this year.  I was surprised we got as far as
we did in the QSO count.  The 2nd night was pretty slow compared to last year.
Plus right off the bat at the start when I worked Glenn, W0GJ (QRP) his signal
was not as strong as last year or the year before.  Solar conditions looked
good, but there was a different sound to the band this year.

A good time was had by all.  Watch for NE9U as W0AIH in the 10 meter contest
next week.

http://qth.com/w0aih/

73, John  K0TG