[3830] CQWW CW OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OG6N(OH6NIO) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 04:10:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OG6N
Operator(s): OH6NIO
Station: OG6N

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Mieto
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   69     8       47
   80:  242    17       77
   40:  373    34      116
   20:  712    37      121
   15:  265    33      124
   10:   37    10       27
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

I did a big cleanup in the shack and repaired many broken control lines, checked
and rerouted many feed lines in time for the SSB leg, repaired a damaged MP that
used to be the second radio in my so2r-system. Although there were still some
tasks unfinished, my station was performing better than in many years.
Unfortunately I caught a virus during the preceding week just before the SSB
weekend and I could only run with half lights.

Just before the CW weekend the same virus haunted me again eliminating a more
serious effort. I started the contest after a good nap at 0545 UTC. After one
hour one of my rigs refused to transmit anymore ruining any so2r operation. At
that moment I almost quit the contest but after a while I thought that I would
concentrate more on the multipliers at the expense of running. So I limped with
an MP + AL80 (800W) for the rest of the contest. Without the second radio it was
difficult to keep the rate up because some pileups were just horrendous. I had
to give up many times after wasting valuable time.

After the noontime I noticed that the direction indicator of my tower was
starting to fail. The potentiometer axle was slipping and it showed a wrong
reading and I couldn't trust it anymore. The daylight time in Finland is not
very long in the CW weekend so soon after the sunset I couldn't see the
antennas anymore and I had to turn the antennas by watching the signal strength
on the S-meter for the rest of the contest. The switching relay of the 10m fixed
beam to the south failed on Saturday so whenever I wanted to take a look on 10m
I had to turn the main tower to the south. My multiplier total was not very
good on 10m. Only 27 countries worked. I S&P most of Saturday except of some
runs to USA on 20m and 15m. I noticed that S&Ping is very tiring compared to
running. I was so exhausted that I had to take a long nap on the second night.
My active time on the radio during the weekend was only about 36 hours.

On Sunday I woke up and started around 0540 UTC so I had already lost many
valuable hours of the contest. The low bands were not very good and I had to
struggle a lot to log in the normally easy multipliers. Around 0900UTC I
finally started to run and tried to run a bit more than on Saturday. I still
got stuck many times while S&Ping for new multipliers. I really needed a second
rig for hunting multipliers while running with the other. Unfortunately the
other rig still refused to transmit. On Sunday 15m closed earlier than on
Saturday. Although the openings on 15m were shorter than I expected, I was
satisfied with 124 countries and 33 zones there. I missed quite a number of
mults from Asia.

During the last hours of the contest the biggest thrill was to break 500
countries which I managed to do. I could have done much better on 160m and 80m
because I really need some improvement on the antennas there. I hope that 10m
will show some more light in the coming contests as it was very poor this
time.

As usually despite of all the problems it was a fun to chase some exotic DX,
meet old friends and have a few pileups during the weekend.

73 Teijo OH6NIO