[3830] ARRL 160 VE3MGY Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VY2MGY@SYMPATICO.CA
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE3MGY Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 03:41:25 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: ONTARIO
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 330  Sections = 65  Countries = 4  Total Score = 46,575

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I had planned on a 30 hour entry on QRP this year but due to unexpected and
unavoidable work commitments I lost about 20 hours of operating time over the
weekend so I just did a casual part time effort instead. The band sounded
strong, stable, and quiet when I was on. I lost 20 minutes right off the bat
when one of the computers - the one that I just happened to be using for
logging - crashed after the 10th QSO and then kept freezing up after reboot so
I had to dig out a backup and start over. Now I find that the backup computer's
time wasn't in UTC so I will have to re-enter the time/date for each QSO in the
log before I submit it.

QRN was S3 with S7 peaks on crashes at 300hz bandwidth on the TX vertical but
was very managable at S1 to S3 at 100hz bandwidth. Quiet enough that the loops
and beverages were only used to dig a couple of stations out of the noise. QSB
was about 25 seconds over 3000 km but the peaks also lasted about the same
amount of time which made working them easier. I was called from all over the
country and even a couple of DX as well when I was running and felt fairly loud
on the West Coast most of the time I was on ( or as "loud" as one can be with 5
watts ). Maybe 6 land put up longer beverages over the summer hi hi.

Thanks for the QSO's.

73
Brian
VE3MGY