[3830] ARRL 10 W5ZL SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5zl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W5ZL SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:36:30 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: W5ZL

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

   CW:  343    64
  SSB:  169    48
-------------------
Total:  512   112  Total Score = 191,520

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I always go into this contest pretty casually, working it in between good
basketball games on TV, social outings, etc. After the contest finished I
looked up my posting to 3830 last year, and the comparison with this year was
quite interesting: my operating time was almost exactly the same - to the
minute. I had more Q's last year (587), but WAY more mults this year - 112 vs.
56 last year. That's not all XE's, I know. Saturday I would have sworn there
were no stations in the contest but TX and FL. Gad, there are a ton of 10 meter
stations in FL!!

Propagation was interesting again on Sunday. I had heard almost nothing north
of NC until 2047 Z when it was if someone turned the faucet on and let the VA,
MD, PA, OH, and MI stations pour through.

Never heard any WA or OR stations, the mountain states were super sparse. Good
sigs from South and Central America and the Caribbean, but no EU all weekend. A
few ZL's and VK's Saturday, but nothing Sunday. I mostly worked S&P this year.
On the occasions I tried running I couldn't get any real rates going. Best hour
was 106, highest 10 min rate was 144/hour and peak 1 min rate was 240 (which
lasted very close to two minutes! Fun while it lasted.

Rig: IC-756 Pro II, Tennadyne T-11 log periodic at 51', WinKey USB, N1MM
Logger.