[3830] ARRL 10 K1TO SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K1TO SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:47:20 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 31.8

   CW: 1628   107
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1628   107  Total Score = 696,784

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Another really fun event -- all 3 CW contests in the past 6 weeks have been
terrific!  After suffering miserably for 3 of the past 4 years in ARRL 10, it
was great to get off to a solid start and have it keep going pretty much all
day Saturday.  Had all call areas in the log by 0144Z.  The sustained solar
flux in the high 80s, plus the K-index of 0 for several days, made for a good
combination.

Sunday was much slower, as it was for nearly everyone.  We had a power failure
here for 3 hours on Sunday afternoon just after a weak front moved through and
in the middle of a nice burst of W7s.  The computer was sending the "T" in
"TU", so I had hoped that the QSO that had just been completed was logged, but
it was not and I don't recall who it was.

While I don't recall any in 14+ years at this QTH, it quickly brought back
memories of lengthy contest-related power failures in HC8 in March, PJ7 in 1991
and PJ2 way back in 1978 on my very first Contest-pedition.

Worked most of the 59 EU QSOs on Saturday.  It was neat to log
9A-CT-DL-EA-F-G-GD-GM-GW-LA(nice surprise)-ON-PA, incl. 22 Gs and 13 EAs. CR6K
was the first heard both mornings.  Heard 4O3A Sunday, but just at his sunset
as he was fading.
Missed most of the Caribbean mults that most everyone else must have worked
easily (FM, J3, J6, etc.).
Loved getting called by a loud ST2AR, along with V5, Z2 and ZS.  Missed EA8, CN
& CT3, if they were on.
Out west, VK9NN topped off a good afternoon that also included FO8RZ.  VK4IU
was in there for many hours, including very late into Saturday evening.
Considering how crummy Sunday was in general, one surprise was working 2
Alaskans after none on Saturday.  Was hoping for a QSO with NH2T(N2NL), and
Dave reports actually hearing me with a weak, watery signal, but nothing heard
here.

Nice showing from the XEs -- got 11 XE states in the log.  One other just
wasn't able to pull out my call.
Never heard ND or VE8EV.

Last year, I worked 2 MN and 6 CA stations.  This year, it was 17 MN (still way
too low) and 153 CA.  Worked every CW op alive in CA and TX (159), it seemed.
Slid up to SSB to try and work other FCG members.  Only worked one, but worked
2 loud CUs, a country I missed on CW.  Also worked a bunch of W5s.

Can't count the number of times that the frequency was shared.  Send "QRL" all
you want, but often there is another occupant CQing away who is inside your
skip zone and they just aren't even audible.  It's only when the callers are
not synced up that you realize what is going on.  With lots of dupes calling
in, it's disconcerting to know that some of them never logged you the first
time around.

Having done quite a bit of antenna work around here in the past few months, it
was gratifying to reap some benefits.  Having the high tribander back helped at
times, although the revamped homebrew 6L @ 50' was still dominant much of the
time.  Need to find a way to use both antennas at once, though.
Still using an FT-1000MP and AL-1500, with CTWin.  No SO2R set up this time,
although the 2nd VFO got lots of use.

10M propagation is fascinating, especially in lower sunspot years.  Like the
old TJ Maxx commercial stated, "It's never the same place twice".  Every year,
Sunday is very different than Saturday.  Watching the spotlight move around to
various areas all day long is so interesting.

No meteor scatter QSOs this year that I can recall.  The peak isn't until
Tuesday morning.

Spent a fair bit of time this past week tuning the beacon portion of 10M.  One
afternoon, I heard 70 different beacons in about 2 hours.  It was neat to then
work a few of those beacon owners, including XE2ES, this weekend.  It was
exciting to hear JA2IGY/B briefly mid-week, but never heard that beacon again,
nor any JA stations.  Next year!

It's great fun to get to briefly say hello to so many contesters that I've
gotten to know over the years -- almost like a sped-up version of shaking hands
at Dayton.

Thanks to my fellow Florida Contest Group members for a really strong showing
this year!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!  See everyone on the air in 2011!

73, Dan
Florida Contest Group President since 1998

(includes dupes)         percent
North America   CW 1557    92.5
South America   CW   46     2.7
Europe          CW   59     3.6
Asia            CW    0     0.0
Africa          CW    4     0.2
Oceania         CW   17     1.0

HOUR      10    HR TOT  CUM TOT
   0   126/18   126/18   126/18
   1   104/18   104/18   230/36
   2    53/2     53/2    283/38
   3    30/3     30/3    313/41
   4    25/1     25/1    338/42
   5    43/2     43/2    381/44
   6      .        .     381/44 CQed until ~0603Z
   7      .        .     381/44
   8    .....    .....   381/44
   9      .        .     381/44
  10      .        .     381/44
  11     2/0      2/0    383/44 1st QSO @ 1156Z
  12    19/4     19/4    402/48
  13    27/1     27/1    429/49
  14    80/13    80/13   509/62
  15   119/14   119/14   628/76
  16   115/6    115/6    743/82
  17    75/4     75/4    818/86
  18    32/1     32/1    850/87
  19    46/1     46/1    896/88
  20    50/4     50/4    946/92
  21    70/1     70/1   1016/93
  22    97/0     97/0   1113/93
  23    74/0     74/0   1187/93
   0    60/0     60/0   1247/93
   1    34/1     34/1   1281/94 6 minutes off
   2    23/1     23/1   1304/95
   3    21/1     21/1   1325/96
   4    14/2     14/2   1339/98
   5      .        .    1339/98 CQed for ~7 minutes
   6      .        .    1339/98
   7      .        .    1339/98
   8    .....    .....  1339/98
   9      .        .    1339/98
  10      .        .    1339/98
  11      .        .    1339/98
  12     1/0      1/0   1340/98 20 minutes off
  13    11/0     11/0   1351/98
  14    30/1     30/1   1381/99
  15    37/1     37/1  1418/100
  16    71/2     71/2  1489/102
  17    57/0     57/0  1546/102
  18    29/1     29/1  1575/103 Power failure 1831Z
  19      .        .   1575/103
  20      .        .   1575/103
  21    14/2     14/2  1589/105 First QSO 2131Z
  22    19/0     19/0  1608/105
  23    20/2     20/2  1628/107
DAY1  1187/93    .....  1187/93
DAY2   441/14      .     441/14