[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N3UM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N3UM Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:45:21 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  111    31  Total Score = 4,092

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Tropo was at best mediocre this year, often with rapid
deep QSB.  Activity level was also mediocre.  Several ops
spoke of being distracted by football on TV.  I've noticed
that this happens mostly when there's no E skip and
tropo is not great: ops get on for 15 minutes and quit when
they find little excitement.  For me the excitement this year
 was making 7 QSOs in 2 grids on 1296 MHz, after finally
getting my homebrew transverter working properly.
At 4 points per QSO, the 1296 results let me eke out
a claimed score 3 points better than I got in 2009, despite
getting 30 fewer QSOs this year.  No hope of matching
last years' score, nearly 1K points higher due to good
tropo and an excellent activity level, even though I had
only 6 and 2 meters last year, no 1296.  Many thanks to
the 7 good PVRC friends who managed to read my
home-made 1296 MHz signals: you know who you are!