[3830] CQ160 CW VE4EAR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE4EAR Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:58:46 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 258  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 10  Total Score = 77,314

Club:

Comments:

Admittedly a struggle for this CW and Antenna challenged guy. Still lots of fun
but the number of Q's were down about 100 from last year. Two fewer countries
and a couple more Sections this year. Missed ND and WV but did hear them while
scanning the bands. Also heard VE4XC chasing DX but couldn't get his
attention.

Limited to 100W due to RFI to the smoke detector at higher power. Setting it
off at 3AM is a practice frowned upon by the rest of the family.

Worked almost all the DX I could hear, which wasn't very much. Never heard any
EU or AS stations except for CS2S. He was quite strong but I couldn't break the
pileup. EF8M came back to me on the first call but I am sure busted my call and
rushed to keep his rate up without correcting it.

P49Y couldn't hear me despite many attempts...sorry folks. The only other DX
heard was KH6CC but just above the noise and couldn't get his attention.

It was a bit disheartening getting beat in a pile up by a 5H3 station when I am
only a third the distance from the other station. Oh well the 1/4 wave loaded
sloper is all that fits on the lot.

I am amazed at some of the stations with the 4 squares and other directive
arrays. One second they are at the noise level, after hearing you, they bounce
up 20 dB. Listening to them run EU while all we hear is static gets tiring, but
that's contesting from the center of the continent.

Always great fun...My quest for WAS on 160 goes on , just looking for WV. Maybe
in the SSB event in a few weeks...

Ed