[3830] CQ160 CW WD5R Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WD5R Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:40:05 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WD5R
Operator(s): N5ECT , K5GO
Station: WD5R

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: ar
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1204  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 53  Total Score = 395,382

Club:

Comments:

I started the contest not knowing if I would get delivery on a high class code
reader.

So first night was strictly by the rules, no outside help.

The high class code reader arrived Saturday afternoon  so wd5r went into
the second night as Mult-op.

I had high hopes of being able to relax on Saturday night and just let the code
reader do all the work.
Unfortunately a few hours into the game and it was obvious  I wasnâ??t off the
hook.
I reviewed all my contracts, seems I was scammed again.

Had to provide ham sandwiches , a mattress,  and cheerfully be the  recipient
of criticism for not taking seriously the obligation  of following good
engineering details  when  building  beverages,

Worst part, the main purpose for enduring all this abuse was in order that I
not be exposed to the stress of having to participate in all the shoving  and
elbowing in the JA  window early Sunday morning.

Wouldnâ??t you know, the band started opening just a little and I found myself
under the headphones while Stan and Marlene were partying down at the kitchen
table,  They were laughing and joking about the wild route Stanâ??s  GPS took
him on en route to the chicken farm.

In the weeks leading up to the contest I felt it would be a lost cause. Just
was not seeing any exciting band openings. I was really surprised  to  find so
much activity  Friday and Saturday night.

Would like to think it was not a change in band conditions, but result of me
lowering the base band  noise level  on the K3 as seen on the P3,  from around
-105db to around  -125db.

Couple guys took my request serious when I posted an invitation to comment on
our beverage set up. They gave me the incentive to root out several small
sources that seemed to add up. Couple of those squirrelly neon light bulbs,
power supply for a printer, and  a broken coax connection in the field.
Oh, there was also a little item concerning station ground that I donâ??t want
to talk about.

In any case, wonder how many EUâ??s I could have been loosing  under 15 db of
IF noise?

Marlene will be doing the SSB contest next month, with maybe a little help from
N5ECT.
Guys, we gona need phonetics, phonetics!!!.

We enjoy the game,
Doug, n5ect
Marlene, WD5R