[3830] CQ160 CW AJ1E Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, frontsight41@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AJ1E Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:25:01 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AJ1E
Operator(s): AJ1E
Station: AJ1E

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Cambridge, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

Total:  QSOs = 107  State/Prov = 24  Countries = 1  Total Score = 5,950

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

After six seasons, recent snow, ice and windstorms took down the far-end support
of my venerable twinlead inverted-L.  Two feet of snow on the ground and windy
zero-degree weather said "NO CQ 160 FOR YOU THIS YEAR"...

As a last resort, I tried feeding the 80 meter dipole as a "T" by tying the
coax shield and center conductor together at the single-wire output of the
transmatch.  I got a reasonable match for the transmitter but any power greater
than 30 watts would mess up the logging computer.  Thats when I thought, why not
try QRP?

I was surprised that anyone could hear me at all.  I think 160 meter conditions
were probably the best they have been for some time.

Thanks to all QSOs for all the patience they had to work this peanut whistle
station...

73 and best wishes in 2011

Chuck  AJ1E