[3830] NA Sprint CW N3BB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N3BB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:48:30 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 4.0
Radios: SO2R

   80:
   40:
   20:
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC Snowmen

Comments:

A strange Sprint for me. One of the amps stopped keying in the first hour, so I
was hurt when both 40 and 20 were wide open. I used the one working amp on the
band which needed more power, and used LP on the other band the rest of the
way. Twenty meters was very poor and closed early, so I used the amp on that
band since some of the contacts were very weak, until twenty faded out. At that
point I ran HP on forty and LPed S and P on 80 for an hour. The last hour and a
half, I ran HP on 80 and LP on 40. It all worked out pretty well, although
certainly there were times when the additional power would have been helpful.
All in all, it worked out OK.

Worked all the mults I heard. Tnx to KC0W/mobile in ND, N5DX who called me on
backscatter on 40 for a tough QSO, and a C6 in Bermuda who called me. Also tnx
to W1WBB of the NS group on Thursday for RI, and ditto WD0T in SD, also a NSer.
KO7X in WY called. Ditto KY4F in AL, also an NSer. There was one VE3 (RZ) and
one VE5 (MX) in the Sprint-tnx fellows. No VE7s were heard here. Both K2SX and
W4OC made it from SC. Two WV stations were on. Tnx also to Karl, N8NA from DE,
K0OU from MO, and NSer W0BH from KS. Tnx WQ5L from MS. Tnx KL7RA in AK. Tnx
N0AC in IA. Two strong guys now in MT. It's thin, but a lot of states were on.
Lots and lots of CA, a never ending spring it seemed. Tnx guys.

40 meters was strange. First it was fantastic and bursting with strong signals.
Then it went pretty much "out," and pickings were slim. Then it sort of came
back a little and some casual guys started answering LP second radio CQs.

All in all, the winter contest is a west coast contest, but the bands were
quiet and it was fun as usual. Lots of fun. I'll have work on the problem with
my Alpha 76PA and see why it won't key. There's alwayss something.

The Sprint is king!

Tnx for four great hours of CW. Sorry for an occasional QLF on my end. Some
were embarrasing.

Jim N3BB