[3830] NA Sprint SSB KB9OWD LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB KB9OWD LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:22:42 -0800
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - February

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

   80:  33       14
   40:  26       15
   20:   1        1
---------------------
Total:  60     Mults = 30  Total Score = 1,800

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC Snowbound

Comments:

I think this is my first SSB Sprint.  Didn't get on until about 0145Z.  I signed
up for the team last minute when I saw there were openings.  I didn't have alot
of time, but figured a few points to the team effort was better than none.  I
still have a touch of the stomach flu and not feeling totally myself.  I used
some of my "radio time" for the weekend in RTTY WPX, went to church at the
beginning and took the XYL out for dinner, so was happy to still get 1.5 hours
in.

I found K6LL right away on 20 for my only QSO there.  Not having been in a SSB
sprint before, I didn't know what to expect.  I heard alot of "dead air" and it
didn't seem like that many stations on.  Not sure if it was that or conditions,
but after about 20 minutes on 40, I had a hard time finding new ones.  I heard
alot of regulars calling alot of fruitless CQ's.

80 didn't seem to go as long as last weekend and I actually worked teammates
W9RE, N9CK and KA9FOX along with the surrounding states.  Heard N6ED on 80 for
the only west coast however couldn't get his attention there.

As I said last weekend, I like the sprint format and will be back for more!
Thanks to Pat, WW9R for organizing the teams.  Out of everything I missed, I
think I heard the rare DX of K9PG briefly on 80 also.

73,

Ryan  KB9OWD