[3830] ARRLDX CW N2WN SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N2WN SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:29:08 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Grainger Co., TN
Operating Time (hrs): 29:02

  160:   86    53
   80:  157    66
   40:  178    77
   20:  353    69
   15:  304    69
   10:   55
-------------------
Total: 1133    36  Total Score = 1,256,520

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Now that was fun! Real activity from one end to the other, Friday night was
quiet on the low bands and nice solid signals on 80 and 160, didn't spend a lot
of time on 40 the first night. Exceeded last year's 80M count by a bazillion
points. Hung an inverted Vee from the top of the mast this season and it has
been a real help. For a rx antenna, I went really high tech with a "curly queue
semi BOG". It has zero directionality as best I can tell (well kinda favors EU),
but definitely takes the edge off. I'm sure folks would either be scratching
their head and/or rolling on the ground laughing, but it works!

40 was outstanding for multipliers, mostly did S&P here. Was able to make a
couple runs on 80 and S&P on 160.

Saturday saw a good AM run on 15 before I had to go and clear a couple 8+ foot
piles of brush, Spring is on the way here in East Tn.

Saturday night was noisier and some of the weaker signals were tough to pull
out on 160 and 80. Plenty of surprises on 80, was tickled to work Japan and
Asiatic Russia, even SA was not it's usual pain (QRN is tough on a lil'
pistol).
Sunday morning was great to the Pacific on 40. It was nice to catch the T30YA
guys. Some first time QSOs too GM4ESD was finally worked after knowing Geoff
for years on the Elecraft reflector. Ran into the Locust a couple times (sorry
I was pretty brain dead on 10 hihi) Nice to work a lot of familiar calls on 15
and 20 that I haven't heard much from in years. (only call missing was from
Quartz Hill)

Not sure if it was intentional or not, had a good run going at the bottom of
20M Sunday morning. Usually I like to work high, but it seems like high is the
new low, so I slipped in where I could.. anyhow things were hot heard a station
send QRL? twice, sent "yes" but had guys calling, so kept going. The guy starts
calling CQ, and I'm getting bummed, he was going to crush me, not sure if he
heard me, or things were too slow or he had a heart, but he moved. My hat's off
to him, it was a great run for me. A US "big gun" operation, and it was
appreciated.

A few pileups seemed out of control, but not as bad as when ONLY 20 is open.
All the bands from 40 to 10 were pretty packed.

thanks too, to a couple of African stations who worked me on Sunday, although
they may have had me logged from Saturday, between QRM and QSB, I just couldn't
call them good the first time. Signals were MUCH better Sunday. Both days on 10
had VERY skewed paths to both AF and EU. EU was not quite 180 degrees out and
gradually rotated to only about 90 degrees (less for Africa). A few of the EU
stations either figured that out or were lucky enough to have antennas oriented
"right". Some were EXTREMELY loud, but didn't hear the US guys calling 'em.

Keep 'em coming, spots dat is!

Cheers and thanks to all!

Julius
n2wn