[3830] ARRLDX CW CE1/K7CA SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW CE1/K7CA SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 05:37:41 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): CE1/K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Huasco
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 2272    59
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2272    59  Total Score = 402,144

Club:

Comments:

This is a nice quiet contest after listening to 160m summertime QRN all night in
the CQ 160m contest.  The only real problems were key clix, sometimes from
stations several KHz away.  It is interesting that key clix never bother me on
160m down here because of the strong static crashes but can be really bad on
15m.  Rigs with key clix should not be allowed to have rx cw filters narrower
than 2 KHz.
  I considered operating single band 160m instead of 15m but there is really no
chance at a top score on 160m from here since PJ and Caribbean stations are so
much closer to the US and don't have to shoot through all that SA QRN. It's fun
once in a while to have high rates instead of calling QRZ? all the time.  Top
rates this year were 300/HR which really takes some concentration.  I took it
pretty easy and didn't use the K3 second RX. SO2R really makes for a fast paced
contest but does increase the score.
  Many DX stations called in but N1MM will not let me log them, even for 0
points.  If there wasn't a pileup I would work them and write the qso down on
paper but if there were several stations calling I would have to work them and
not log them so that I could copy the US stations calling. I wish N1MM had an
option to log non workable qsos like it does for dupes.  If anyone knows how to
do this, please let me know for next year.
  Propagation seemed very good to the US but similar to last year.  I guess the
solar flares didn't have much affect on N/S paths.  I did notice some aurora
buzz on a few stations.  Thanks to all the stations that called in to make this
contest a lot of fun.  This is my last contest from Huasco until next November.
73, Al CE1/K7CA
RIG:
Elecraft K3
Homebrew 5 element yagi on 36'(11.4m) boom up 50' over the Pacific Ocean
Ten-Tec Titan amp running 1200W output
MFJ MightyLite P/S