[3830] ARRLDX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:11:31 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 34
Radios: SO2R

  160:  141    53
   80:  241    69
   40: 1017    84
   20: 1137    88
   15:  832    82
   10:   71    44
-------------------
Total: 3439   420  Total Score = 4,333,140

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy and Mother Nature collaborated on getting me good this time.

My flight Tuesday night from Montreal to Charlottetown was canceled due to high
winds. When I arrived Wednesday afternoon, I discovered those high winds had
broken 3 of the 4 80 meter 4 square elements. It had taken down my middle 15
meter yagi. It had made one element of my bottom 20 meter yagi vertical. My top
20 meter yagi was freewheeling. The tribander didn't work at all. Neither did
the top 10 meter yagi. The 160 meter vertical array didn't tune up. The 40
meter yagi, which would only turn CCW was pointing South. Evidently the wind
had made it turn CW, so I wound up being able to point it at Europe. There was
no direction indicator as I'm having a new controller made up, so I had to
leave it on EU and as a result my 40 meter mult total suffered.

I hooked up the one remaining 80 meter vertical bypassing the 4 square
controller so that was my 80 meter antenna. I found where the weight of the ice
had caused the ground strap to one of the 160 meter verticals to break. After
fixing that I had a 160 meter antenna, so that gave me at least one antenna on
each band.

I worked the 1st 22 1/2 hours straight, but then things slowed down and the
frustration of not being able to turn antennas where I wanted got to me. After
that, I mostly played when I felt like it and when things got slow I got up and
walked away from the radio.

10 was disappointing. EU was loud Thursday and Friday afternoon, but come the
contest, there wasn't much EU to be heard.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT