[3830] ARRLDX CW W1CTN SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ctn@yahoo.co.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1CTN SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:07:22 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1CTN
Operator(s): W1CTN
Station: W1CTN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:  100    57
   80:  163    67
   40:  253    84
   20:  298    83
   15:  226    81
   10:   74    41
-------------------
Total: 1114   413  Total Score = 1,380,246

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

An email I sent to my club - YCCC, I hope it can assist others

To all:
This was the first CW contest where I worked over a 1000 stations and over 1
million points. Worked a few 6 banders and I even worked 5 JA's on 40 m Sunday
morning between 0730-0800, our local, with a simple dipole sloping from 50' to
30'.

All my past efforts in a CW contest were a bit frustrating for me as I am a
only fair CW op.

100% S & P, 98% utilizing the band map/cluster, so I am hooked and an apparent
junkie.

Didn't even connect a paddle to the rig, only used the test box to send the
occasional "KB" or answer a question. So the monkey is firmly upon my back !

Split my chair time up so I was never tired or distracted.

I used the band map/cluster to:
A. Maximize my score for the club
B. Confirm callsigns that I would have possibly busted

My rates using the band map/cluster were much higher than if I decoded every
callsign myself. If I had done that my score would have been only ~1/2 of what
it is.

For my present skill level and available operating time, in a CW contest, the
band map/cluster is the best way for me to operate.

I know if I can see a call of the band map, then hear and confirm what I have
seen is correct it really helps ME zip along in the contest.

I'm sure I busted a few calls or power levels but the majority are correct.

Yes, you must know CW to play the band map/cluster game, but I hope others in
the club who are fair CW ops will give it a try. If used correctly, the band
map/cluster game can put many more points into our collective score.  If I can
do it, anyone can.

Here is my score card...next stop "BMA", Band Mappers Anonymous, to confront my
multi-band addiction.

Darn, Just saw these spotted:

JU0NK 7003, CR1ACK 3503 AND HE0RIN 14003, I wonder if I can work them before
todays BMA meeting...Stop taunting me with bogus spots and get this monkey off
my back !

73 :)
Dave
W1CTN