[3830] ARRLDX CW W6YI(N6MJ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Dann6mj@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6YI(N6MJ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:22:21 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6YI
Operator(s): N6MJ
Station: W6YI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:   55    33
   80:  275    67
   40:  865    98
   20:  714    98
   15:  633    88
   10:  178    41
-------------------
Total: 2720   425  Total Score = 3,468,000

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks again to Jim, W6YI, for letting me use the station on relatively short
notice.  The station worked great.  We had some weather issues during the
contest.  We actually had to disconnect the coax due to lightning in the area
for the 1st time.  It only lasted about 15 minutes so was a non factor.  There
was some rain static to deal with at times, but it was very quiet for the most
part.

I wasnt planning on operating only 41 hours, but my new job has been kicking my
butt so I was really tired and couldn't keep my eyes open.  A few times I woke
up in the chair with a half typed in call on the screen.  I hope I didn't sound
too much like a lid.  I also overslept my alarm on Sunday morning.  My 90 minute
nap turned into 3 hours.

Conditions were interesting.  I had the best 160 opening into EU that I can
ever remember during a contest.  I worked about 20 Eu and none of them had
trouble copying me.  On the other hand I only worked 6 JA's on 160.  I tried
cqing for a while but nobody came back to me.

80m was good but not great.  Eu had decent signals both nights, but I only
managed a short run into Eu Friday night at their sunrise.  I did not hear any
LP either morning.

40m was the money band as usual.  Conditions were outstanding to EU both nights
and I had no trouble running them.  It sure is nice to have 2 big yagis on this
band.  I was able to have 1 antenna at EU and 1 at JA for several hours.  The
band stayed open to EU well past 08z on Friday, but closed much earlier on
Saturday.  There was some long path both mornings, but no real rate to speak
of.  I had some nice mults call in like A65 and 9K2.

20m was mediocre.  It peaked to Eu about an hour after sunrise, and after that
it was open but they were very weak and difficult to run.  It closed to JA
relatively early both nights right around 03z.

15m was a lot of fun.  It was much better on Saturday than Sunday.  I had a
nice run for about an hour to EU.  It's been a while since that happened.  It
still wasnt great by any means, but much better than years past.  It stayed
open til about 02z both days to JA.

I managed my first JA run in quite a while on 10m.  It started out with the big
guns being super weak but workable, and gradually got better to the point that
the 5 watt JA's were loud.  I worked about 90 Asians during this run on
saturday evening.  Sunday there were good signals from DU and KH2, but only
worked 1 more JA.  I didn't hear any EU and only worked 1 African, but I think
if I spent more time in the morning on 10m I could have pulled a few more out.

Thanks for all the q's and see you in the next one.

73,
Dan N6MJ