[3830] GaQP VE3KZ Single OpMixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3kz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] GaQP VE3KZ Single OpMixed QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:08:56 -0700
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: VE3KZ
Operator(s): VE3KZ
Station: VE3KZ

Class: Single OpMixed QRP
QTH: Milton, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:
   40:     42        2
   20:    140       39
   15:
   10:
    6:
------------------------
Total:    182       41  CW-Dig Mults = 104  Ph Mults = 29  Total Score = 53,865

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I knew there was something wrong when on my first QSO, K4NV commented on how
strong my signal was on 20 SSB. This is not something you expect when operating
QRP! I checked and sure enough I was putting out 100W. I had been checking SWR's
the evening before and had forgotten to turn down the power control again to 5W!
After doing so now I had to do something about that one QSO at LP so my log was
changed to W4NV which should keep the QSO valid for him but not for me! Thanks
to the operator for making that comment! That mistake, if not corrected, could
have changed my category.
With 5W, it was a great work-out. No computer interface. All manual CW sending
(getting just a little flakey near the end). That rig is normally used for VHF
and ARCI QRP tests where QRQ is pretty rare.
Only 20 and 40 were useful using a 3el yagi on 20 and a sloping dipole on 40.
On Sunday there was a long session of rain static and a brief thunderstorm.
This same weather system had knocked out 80 for practial QRP Saturday night. 15
and 10 never opened to GA.
Trying to work G-E-O-R-G-I-A from the 18 1X1 calls turned out to be a
challenge. The E-O-R-I-A were no problem as was W4G but getting to the second
"G", K4G was another story. I kept hearing K4G on 20 SSB but couldn't get to
him. To my surprise and pleasure, K4G showed up on 20 CW at 18:20 on Sunday
with slow speed CW and we made immediate contact. Thanks!
Kudos to the 16 mobile stations for 131 QSO's and particularly to N4ZZ, N5WR
and W3DYA with 19,19 and 18 QSO's respectively.
It was yet another unforgettable QSO Party experience. Happy 50th Anniversary,
GQP. I hope you all can join us for the Ontario QSO Party this coming weekend!

73 Bob VE3KZ