[3830] CQMM DX W8QZA SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQMM DX W8QZA SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:46:15 -0700
                    CQ Manchester Mineira DX Contest

Call: W8QZA
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:    0      0
   40:    6      0
   20:   45     13
   15:   62     21
   10:   29     18
----------------------
Total:  142     52  Countries = 36  Total Score = 54,560

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:  Elecraft K-2

Antennas:

SteppIR, 3 el, up 30 feet for 10-15-20
Butternut HF-2V Vertical for 40-80

_______________________________________

I have not entered this contest for a couple years. I wanted to convert to the
N1MM contest logger, and this seemed to be a good contest to try it out. So I
downloaded N1MM on Thursday evening. We had one of our grandsons for the day on
Friday, so I had to wait until 5 PM on Friday to familiarize myself with N1MM.
Fortunately the contest didn't start until Saturday AM!

Like any new logging program, it takes some getting used to. But it is a good
program and has some advantages and conveniences over the Writelog program.
Seems like I should be paying more for it than I paid for Writelog, but it is
totally free.

This year the Manchester Mineira contest allowed the participants to work
stations outside of North and South America. For me that provided for a rather
nice increase in my score from several years ago. It is easy to work someone
outside the contest because the exchange for most of the stations you work
outside the contest is simply the continent. And N1MM even fills that in for
you. And there was a nice opening into Eastern Europe late Saturday night that
got me a few extra DXCC multipliers.

It was fun and it was nice to be able to give out 10 points Qs to people as a
QRP station. I had about 20 (of 142 Qs) stations answer my CQs including a
couple of JAs who seemed to be familiar with the exchange.

My best Q was AO8WRD on 7 MHz with 5 watts and an HF-2V with 3 ground radials!

Having a logger that covers this contest certainly makes it a lot more fun!

73,   Bill Parker  W8QZA