[3830] WPX CW K5AF SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, PaulKB8N@AOL.Com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K5AF SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 20:19:52 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 8.0
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    4
   80:   60
   40:  101
   20:  127
   15:   32
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

I missed last year due to my daughter's wedding, so I checked my part-time 2009
score and figured I'd try to better it.  I strung a new stealthy antenna
because the HOA challenged my rooftop masts and my existing antennas.
Fortunately, I presented my case and they relented, but I still kept up the
stealthy antenna.  Its a lazy U for 60M fed with ladder line that also works
well on 40M and 20M.  It is only 25' tall, with the lower leg about 8' off the
ground.

I had a chance to compare this antenna with my 200' CF Zepp on 40M and 20M and
was quite pleased with the performance.  It seemed to have a low-angle
component that made it a pretty good DX antenna. In most cases, the two
antennas were equal, with the difference in performance depending on the path.
I think I will try tweaking this antenna and probably keep it up permanently.

Conditions were pretty poor from STex, but there were some interesting moments.
 Believe it or not, South America has always been tough for me on 40 and 80M.
This year, that changed significantly, with loud, easily worked signals.  Maybe
participation is up, or could it be the earth's magnetic shift?

Anyway, a fun time.  This one might be a serious effort one of these years.