[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:18:36 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:    0
   80:   45
   40:  123
   20:  248
   15:  147
   10:   30
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

XCVR: Elecraft K-2 5 Watts

Antennas:

   10-15-20: 3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
   40-80: Butternut HF-2V Vertical
This is the first time I have done this contest from my home station since
1999!

Conditions were not great. By that I mean that I only had 30 Qs on 10 M and
only worked 2 European stations on 15 M (CR2X & CS2C). My main European
openings on 20 M were the polar opening that occurs here in the hour or two
before midnight. During the day on Saturday I actually walked away from the rig
a few times when rates dropped below 4 or 5 an hour!

But these contests are always fun. And part of the fun is adapting your
operating strategy to the changing conditions. As the saying goes, my worst day
contesting is better than my best day at work!

My friend Phil (N0KE) finally got me to use the N1MM logger in this contest and
I am very happy with it. It has a lot of convenient features, and I can key the
rig using the parallel port without having to use a UBS to serial port
converter. Those converters never seem to work quite right!

N1MM does not seem to have the ability to generate the nice statistical tables
that CT or Writelog have. Unless I just have not found out where they are yet.

I got about 3 hours sleep the first night and about 4 hours the second night.
But the "unplanned" time off on Saturday due to poor conditions meant I wound
up operating only 34 hours.

Well, I'll be gone for the IARU so I guess the contest stuff gets put away
until Halloween time. See you all then!

73,   Bill  W8QZA / W6QU