[3830] WPX CW EI2CN SO(A)SB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] WPX CW EI2CN SO(A)SB20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 03:16:59 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: EI2CN
Operator(s): EI2CN
Station: EI2CN

Class: SO(A)SB20 HP
QTH: Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 33

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1717
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

Wow, what a weekend!   Conditions were lousy here, the 20M band only opening to
the West after about 15:00Z and then I thought of 160M conditions!   Noise
there was plenty of and then the band would go quiet and there were no signals
to be heard on my calling frequency but after a while the propagation would
sort of return with plenty of accompanying noise to go with it.   Some of the
distant stations had an arctic flutter and ring on them so that CW became more
difficult with a smearing of the signal.

Plans had been to go on fifteen or ten if the sunspots were high enough so as
to guarantee some more sleep, some old timers need this.  Alas the numbers
looked poor so twenty was chosen.   It is soul destroying to have a low Q rate.
  Twenty turned out to be a late night band (late being after 10 PM) here with
the early afternoons being somewhat of a waste except for working brother EU
stations and thank God for them!   However at night some business could be done
except that I went off to the sack too early on Saturday night.

I am entering as assisted as my logging program was giving spots at the
screen's bottom though they were not made use of as most operating was done as
a run station with some search and pounce starting at one end of the band and
moving up one station at a time.   With so many prefixes and none worth more
than any other why bother with spotting but the dirty book was open so there
you go.  Honestly I did not want the spots but was not cleaver enough to
disable them during the heat of the contest.   I need to work on Win-test when
not operating a contest or perhaps I should read the manual - several hundred
pages of it.

Oh it was a thrill to work JA and ZL in this contest considering the conditions
and VK3TDX called me on Saturday evening when I was beamed on W land that
provided a lift.

The SteppIR Yagi was made for this test.   Both afternoons some time was spent
in the bi-directional mode with the antenna pointed at NA but working EU as
well.   There were not enough Ws coming through so I relied heavily for
activity and stimulus from my EU brothers.

Thanks to all for their patience.   My hand CW goes to pot when using
Micro-keyer 2 with Win-test.   There is something different in the timing and I
never look at it except during a contest.   I am far from a hot shot at CW but
normally am comfortable at 22 WPM.   For me there is a place in hell for those
going at 40 WPM who do not slow down but forgive me I am a grumpy old man.   It
was fun and now a bit like a long distance car ride and thus something to
remember and discuss with similarly warped minds.

K3!!!!
Acom
4 el SteppIR @ 80' approx 24 meters
micro Keyer 2