[3830] WPX CW DK6XZ(E77XZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dk6xz@t-online.de
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DK6XZ(E77XZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 09:08:31 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DK6XZ
Operator(s): E77XZ
Station: DL0MB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Rastatt, JN48cu
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    9
   80:  215
   40:  939
   20: 1010
   15:  173
   10:   23
------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

It was my very first SOAB attempt in WPX and I have believing in a possibility
of making a serious non-assisted attend with a SO1R setup. My buddy, Andy,
DL3YM, plays traditionally well in WPX - so mainly I tried to over-score him. A
fine 36/48 hours contest format is more than nice, but challenging at the same
time:

The right break-time and operating tactics for maximizing the score were
chosen, but it appeared I was in a "wrongâ??weekend :-)! Planetary A Index
happened to rise over 30 on both days! The propagation observation and
predictions that your writer tried to make prior to the contest were not of
use. Despite sudden high number of sunspots and SFI, more than bad DX
propagation conditions on higher frequencies occurred due to absorptions (
ionosphere condo = minor storm ). I understood that this phenomenon (high K )
impacts more the propagation in areas closer to the ( north ) pole(s).

The signals from USA/JA were due to the mentioned strongly impaired or even not
existent here, particularly on 15m band. Everywhere was very noisy. Otherwise it
was a fun working JA's on 20m hours after their sunrise - at the "USA
primetime". Appearance of VK/ZL was significant for the propagation situation.

Highlights:
- Never was generating and running some real pileup, except having something
going on 40m towards NA in first and on 20m in the second night. 80m produced a
short EU-pileup third night.
- I always enjoy good CW runs with Russians & Co in morning hours on 20m, so
this time too.
- 40m DXing
- Obvious and general excitement in CWing by the most of the participants

Lowlights:
- To have realized that a SO2R setup is even in WPX not to thing away, so far
rates at such a low level are given.
- Absolute disaster were the last 7,5 hours of the contest, as after the second
break ( 2001 QSOs ) nothing wanted to really go.
- Spent generally a lot of time in S&P mode, due to slow rates on CQ.
- Sunday morning did not log a couple of US QSO's since getting asleep at the
keyboard :-)
- Local QRM & QRN at certain times

Saw up to the time several impressive scores of my friends at 3830!
Congratulations and thank you all for populating the bands. Special thanks to
my German rivals for a nice competition.

73 Suad, DK6XZ ( E77XZ )

::

The station: DL0MB ( DM0B ), Rastatt
TRX: ompowered FT-1000 MP

Antennas:
(160) Inverted L
(80) Delta loop
(40) Optibeam OB4-40 33mh
(20/15/10) Optibeam 16-3 18mh + KLM KT34A 37mh ( WX0B-box power-splitted )