[3830] WPX CW N8UM SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N8UM SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:54:00 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N8UM
Operator(s): N8UM
Station: N8UM

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 27

------------
  160:    0
   80:  151
   40:  425
   20:  282
   15:  163
   10:    0
------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I had planned a SO 40 effort, but the TCG gathering at the K0EJ super station
inspired me to add some verticals to the back yard.  I got the 15m 4 square
erected a week before the test and finished the 20 meter 4 square in 90 degree
heat just before the start of the test on Friday night.  I made a lucky choice
to stay on 40 and 80 on Friday night and worked plenty of 6 pointers.  I went
to bed the first night about 2:30 am.  That was a good choice as the bands were
punk on Saturday morning so I finished the 20 meter antenna.  Played on Saturday
afternoon and napped some.   I went to bed at 11:30pm Saturday night since 40
had really weak and fluttery signals.  Sunday morn and the rest of the test had
ever improving conditions and the 20 meter 4 square seems to have a respectable
pattern and gets out well.

For those who are wondering, I donâ??t have any towers but I do have 50,000
feet of radials on the hillside from a previous 80 meter 4 square.  Yes fifty
thousand feet, not five thousand feetâ?¦

I did not operate assisted as the K3 had the infamous IO3 Error Code from a
thunderstorm just two days before the big Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee
tornado outbreak.  I need an antenna decoder switch since I probably spent an
hour or two just unscrewing and changing antennasâ?¦

My two artificial knees are fully functional and the titanium did not seem to
suffer any rf detuning from the radioâ?¦  For those of you that snow ski, I did
14 runs before lunch at Vail in early February so I guess the knees are as good
as they are going to get!