[3830] WPX CW DR2Q/P(DL8MBS) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DR2Q/P(DL8MBS) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:46:59 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DR2Q/P
Operator(s): DL8MBS
Station: DR2Q/P

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: JO50QV
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  166
   20:  192
   15:  126
   10:   79
------------

Club:

Comments:

With no rain in the forecast I decided for a special fun operation completely
portable from a small mountaintop with no car access. The internal
transportation department refused to carry more than 17 Ah upwards with all the
other equipment - so I had to bit the bullet operating without computer
(sometimes basic sending and logging skills have to be refreshed...).

After stringing a doublet in the trees @10m the first operating hour felt
miserable and I initially blamed the antenna for the rough going (hadnÂ't
looked at the solar values before heading off with all the stuff). At least the
sound of many signals said that there must be "something" going on. Took an hour
off to string a second dipole at right angle to the first - really improving the
chances with many stations. Sporadic E, some short openings for very short and
long distances followed and things went better then.

In hindsight with looking at other figrues the QTH seems to be quite good -
other than it felt sometimes during the contest. And the fun had while sitting
there in chilly morning hours or sunny times was absolutely priceless. Most
difficult moment was sending a fill with the "/p" while the hornet that came
every hour carefully inspecting my "shack" tried to land on my sending hand...

Only difficulty for a serious operation from up there may be the many friendly
hikers with their questions (one mother other explained to her child that there
must be "environmental studies carried out" and others supposed me to be a tree
gardener while I tried to bring a support rope in a tree with a pole...).

Best 73 from SOTA DM/TH-470,
Chris (DL8MBS)