[3830] WPX CW WP2/OL0A(OK1CZ) SOSB80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WP2/OL0A(OK1CZ) SOSB80 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 09:16:46 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WP2/OL0A
Operator(s): OK1CZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: SOSB80 LP
QTH: ST.CROIX
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:  300
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

My first contest from the Carribean. Operating from St.Croix, VI.

The first hour was a real struggle until I found that by my mistake I was
transmitting into 160m antenna. After switching to the correct 80m dipole it
got better but not too much. Propagation was not at its best. I could hear EU
very well thanks to Herb's bank of beverage antennas but due to low power my
signal was too weak for many EU stations to read and I had to repeat many
times.
Operating from the Carribean from the shack of KV4FZ was an interesting
experience. Contest starts here at 20 local time when only weak EU stations can
be heard, apart from the few SA and AF stations.
Rate improves slightly when East coast US stations appear after their sunset
around local midnight and later Mid west and West coast at 01 to 02 hrs local.
By that time I was tired and sleepy in the very hot Carribean WX.

The 300 QSOs was about the maximum that could be worked with 100W. Activity was
not too high. I could have done better with a PA but I wanted to try what can be
done with low power.
Anyway I had fun and enjoyed the contest as well as other activities on the
island.

RIG: IC746PRO, 100W
ANT: high dipole, beverages for RX