[3830] ARRL June VHF VE6TL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE6TL Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 20:14:40 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  123    63  Total Score = 7,503

Club:

Comments:

This was my first VHF contest as now I have 6m with my FTDX-5000MP.  Sporadic E
was the only prop mode going on 6m from here and I must say it was a real
challenge.  Virtually all contacts were north-south, with the longest being
XE2K.  I actually did get a call from KH2TJ, who for 3 seconds, was S9.
Unfortunately, I never heard his grid square.  As for band openings, I reckon
there were thousands of them over the weekend.  But the average opening was
less than 4 seconds, which made the exchange of grid squares pretty tough.  The
longest opening I heard was about 6 minutes, at which time I managed to get the
rate up to 145 Qs per hour.  That only happened once.

The other thing I should point out is that I don't have a 6m antenna, as this
is on my list of things to build or buy.  In the mean time, I am using my TH6
20-10m tribander which loads up great on 6m and seems to operate 180 degrees to
the signals.  My advantage is that I am at one of the highest elevations in
Calgary, but that doesn't mean too much when you're trying to work DX on 6m. It
would help if I were working 2m SSB or the UHF bands.

Hopefully the propagation will continue to improve and things will be even more
fun in the next one.

73,

JERRY VE6TL

Rig:  FTDX-5000MP 200W Barefoot