[3830] ARRL June VHF VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:42:27 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  29     21  Total Score = 609

Club:

Comments:

Gear: FT-2000, 100W to Steppir 3-el yagi with 6M passive element, at 27'
overlooking the valley 300' below. Great fun!

The new AC0C roofing filter in the FT-2000 sure works great -- just didn't need
it this weekend with the bands on early summer vacation.

Wanted to put time into the RTTY Long Distance Challenge, but had a lot of
other events to attend this weekend. The HF bands were lousy, so I got on 6M
casually for a few minutes at a time many times during Saturday and Sunday.
Total on-time was only 1:01 hours.

Jerry VE6TL described things very well -- the openings were mostly north-south,
and came in brief instalments. Had one brief run of six Qs, then the band fell
apart again.

I'm quite happy with the production, as the band was either open with
surprisingly loud (but few) signals from the southeast, or closed so nobody got
through. Felt wonderful to hear EM and EL grids coming through when the path was
there.

As I was CW-only, activity seemed a bit thin, but when the band was open
intermittently to W6, the calls were there. Also added a new country (xE).

Many times I heard loud partial calls of stations underneath me on occasional
pings. Somebody was seeing a lot of action out there.

Really enjoyed my time dabbling in this one. Thanks for the Qs and for looking
to the Pacific Northwest.

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.orcadxcc.org/
http://www3.telus.net/va7st