[3830] ARRL June VHF AB1J Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF AB1J Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 06:46:18 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  13     4  Total Score = 52

Club:

Comments:

My first 6 meter operation under my own call, and I've been licensed
since 1958. I did some VHF QSO Parties in the early 70s with a multiop
group under someone else's call, but that's it.

Since I got my FT-2000 several years ago I've occasionally listened on
6M but heard nothing. Just assumed there was little local 6M activity,
maybe a legacy of Boston's Channel 2. Then it occurred to me (like,
duh?) one day that I was listening through my low-pass filter with a
cut off at 30 MHz. If it was working properly, I shouldn't hear
anything. So I bypassed it today and there you were. I used a 40M
antenna on its 7th harmonic, close enough. I need to put up a
more serious antenna, but since I run a stealth operation I'm not
sure how to go. Simple antennas have worked well for me on HF, but
I'd like some gain and directivity on 6. Gotta put on my thinking
cap.

I didn't hear much activity. Was it because I didn't have much of an
antenna, or was it just a bad weekend? I'd appreciate some feedback
from some other Eastern MA folks who know the scene. I fiddled around
earlier in the DLDC RTTY contest and conditions were very poor then.
As I write this SFI=85, A=12, K=3.  My farthest QSOs were in GA and MN.
Everything else was MA with one CT.

I'll be back.

73,
Kermit, AB1J