[3830] ARRL FD W5PF(@KD5TIO) 2C LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K5WAF@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W5PF(@KD5TIO) 2C LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:45:08 -0700

  2.3:    0      0      0
  3.4:    0      0      0
  5.7:    0      0      0
  10G:    0      0      0
  24G:    0      0      0
----------------------------

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

This is the first time trying Field Day as marine mobile from the 30 sail boat,
Solitare.  We were actually anticipating having 2 boats with a rig on each and
maintaining the maximum distance allowed for Field Day but due to the 25 knot
winds and rough conditions, our second sail boat, Sea Pumpkin with WF5W (Cal)
and W5PF (Paul), had to turn back and call it quites just as Field Day began.
Having decided on 2C as the category, we ended up putting a second rig on line
on Solitare focused only on 6m and 10m.

The station rig permanently installed on the boat, an IC-703, was connected to
the back stay of the sail boat via an SGD tuner and gave us capability on 80
thru 6m.  The second rig was a FT-897 connected to a 6m halo or a 10m dipole
hosted up the mast -- both worked well under the circumstances.  And
surprisingly enough, the interstation interference was minimal or at least
tolerable.

Operation was limited to daylight hours (sort of!) and we were off the air from
about 10:30pm to 7:30am during which time we moored in a marina just inside
Galveston Bay (Watergate Marina near Kemah, TX).

Fun but challenging-- we will have to discuss whether or not to do it again!