[3830] RAC Day VE8RAC(VE8EV) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE8RAC(VE8EV) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:20:26 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE8RAC
Operator(s): VE8EV
Station: VE8EV

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Inuvik. NT
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  260    566      12        12
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  260    566      12        12  Total Score = 97,200

Club:

Comments:

292 VE, 7 RAC

For me this turned into two completely different contests.  The first one was
Thursday.  All night I had loud signals, lots of callers and good rate on both
modes.  When things slowed down at 0630z there was already more than 500 QSO's
in the log and I'd bagged all but a few multipliers.  I grabbed three hours
sleep and when I got back on things were still pretty slow and just went
downhill from there.  Lots of power line noise and very few signals to be
heard.  I struggled all day Friday to put 300 contacts in the log over 13
hours.  I spent most of the day on CW as very little was coming through on
phone.  There were several zero rate hours around midday and I eventually threw
in the towel an hour early, took my toys and went home.  Apologies for all the
mangled callsigns and CQing in the faces of callers I couldn't hear.  Better
luck next time!

Low points:

- What should have been an easy run of Europeans at midnight turned into a
packet frenzy when someone spotted me as a rare IOTA island.  I went split for
a while but eventually gave up and retreated to the friendlier waters of the
Pacific.

- I'm not a CW guy.  I'm having lots of fun contesting in CW but my 20wpm
repertoire pretty much ends after callsigns and 5NN+exchange.  I felt like a
deer in the headlights several times when guys felt the need to chit-chat.  All
FB, but I'm just not there yet.  Maybe next year...

High points:

+ First contest with the new Flex, all integrated with the touchscreen and
N3FJP for CAT, keying and voice.  Sweet!  Not a single hiccup through the whole
event and when all the big signals were booming in Friday night the sharp filter
skirts almost brought a tear to my eye.

+ Almost making the dual-mode mult sweep.  I had VY0HL call me on both modes
Friday night and at the end I only needed VY1 on CW and (doh!) NT on phone.

73 and Happy Canada Day!
de VE8EV