[3830] RAC Day VE4EAR SOAB/Ph HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE4EAR SOAB/Ph HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 09:08:24 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB/Ph HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:           2                 1
   80:          22                 3
   40:         119                 9
   20:         810                13
   15:          13                 2
   10:           4                 1
    6:           3                 1
    2:           2                 1
Total:   0     975       0        31  Total Score = 168,826

Club:

Comments:

As has been noted, conditions were less than great for this one. About the same
number of Q's from last year however the score is down 30%. Missed a lot of
mults this year on the low bands and nothing happened on 10 or 15 that I could
take advantage of.

6m - Nothing, dead, flat. It did open slightly at 00:10 on July 2 of course.

10m Some sporadic E to the CA and the SE US. I think there was other openings
but no one heard anything so abandoned the band.

15m - Very disappointing. Checked this band every half hour or so and heard
very little in the phone band. Heard plenty of VE2/3/6/7 in the CW portion but
couldn't convince any to try to move up from 20. A big surprise was hearing
SP9LJD out of nowhere on the band. Big signal and not another EU station
heard.

20m - Clearly the money band this year. Open very late Friday night which I
think kept many stations working this band when they normally would have gone
to the low bands. No big opening to EU or AS. Did hear several big stations
from EU call me when I was pointed at the east coast and when I swung the beam
to EU hoping to get a run going, there was no one there to answer the CQ's.

40m - By the time most people abandoned 20m Thursday night, conditions were
very long and there were very few participants left. Friday morning seems most
people went straight to 20m. In the last hour or so managed a few more die
hards trying to squeeze what they could from the band. Great signals between
Eastern ON and AB with QC and BC being fringe.

80m - Same story as 40 but only worse. Very few stations active on this band.
Bigger problem was the thunderstorms not too far off and the huge crashes on
all the low bands.

160m - Got moved here but otherwise no interest seems to have been shown in
this noisey band.

Great to see so many new callsigns as well as the regulars. Very special thanks
to  the many #1 casual operators who stopped by for a visit. The amount of chit
chat we do in this contest is probably double or triple what a normal contest
has. That just emphasizes the friendly casual nature of this test.

Aalso as others noted, the last 10 hours or slow had painfully slow rates. If
it hadn't been raining outside, I may have pulled the plug. 500 Qs in the log
in the first 5 hours folled by many hours of 20-30 or less. Not for lack of
trying. At the end it was 7-8 minutes between Q's.

Hope everyone had fun and thanks for all the Q's and well wishes.

Happy Canada Day to all and hope the 4th of July is a great Holiday for our
southern neighbors!

Ed