[3830] RAC Day VE1RGB SOAB/CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE1RGB SOAB/CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 12:25:02 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE1RGB
Operator(s): VE1RGB
Station: VE1RGB

Class: SOAB/CW LP
QTH: Halifax, NS
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:   10              4
   80:   49              5
   40:  116              8
   20:  222              9
   15:   67              6
   10:    7              2
    6:
    2:
Total:  471     0       34         0  Total Score = 80,920

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were not great and this score is 20% lower than last year, most of
the missing Qs being on 40M and 20M.  On the other hand, bumping into VA1MM at
the right time earned me a couple of new mults through moves, and VE8RAC who
kept pounding away all day yesterday on 20M, got me a mult that I rarely see
here, so I am up a couple this year.

My most rewarding experience was working Hal W1NN, the only station that I
snagged on six bands.  That's because he is such a nice guy, always speaks
pleasantly to me, and happened to be in exactly the right place at the right
time when I found him running at a point when I was pretty sure I could move
him to 10M and provide him a relatively rare mult in RAC Summer 2011 from this
coast.  Pleased with that, I was.  No favouritism; just good timing.

Ten Meters and 15M were open significant portions of the time here yesterday
but there were not many folks taking advantage of it. I found a total of 8
mults as I wandered through those bands doing what I am now calling my Meander
Cycle in deference to those who like to use big words when talking about the
sun's behaviour and spotty propagation.

Most hopeful competitors:  R9VT (and another UA) seriously attempting to do
well in RAC from Asiatic Russia.  One could say the same about the A6 but at
least he had some propagation going for him.

I used the usual gear:  K3 + P3 + wires.  Look out next year, though.  I am
about to introduce a switch that will reverse the antenna pattern of the big
160M delta loop, aiming it to NA for the first time.  I fully expect to win my
own sponsored trophy next year :)  Note to K4LTA:  fair warning, Bill -- my
long-term goal is to somee day out-score you in this one!

But a note to anyone reading this report:  ALWAYS try to move me for a VE1 mult
if you can.  I'm pretty much S&P here and carrying out the QSY manoeuvres to
hand off a mult would rarely cost me points, and I enjoy the challenge of doing
it well.  Besides, anyone who moves me to their benefit is likely doing me a
favour at the same time.

73,
Gary, VE1RGB