[3830] IARU N2IC SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N2IC SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:20:49 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    50           10       3
   80:   122           16       5
   40:   586           34      26
   20:  1038           36      36
   15:   452           28      19
   10:    84           12       4
-------------------------------------
Total:  2332    0     136      93  Total Score = 1,725,744

Club:

Comments:

After operating last year from WRTC-2010 as R39M with N6TV, it was a little more
relaxing to operate from home this time.

Great USA activity, but with very little EU propagation I couldn't tell if a
non-WRTC year meant activity was better or worse this year. The first 7 hours
all had rates above 100 (133-142-149-121-142-104-123), before I broke the
string with a short break. The hamshack was very hot, which reduced my
butt-in-chair discipline considerably (it's suppose to be cooler at 7000' ASL
!).

Recently leap-frogged a few levels in technology, and replaced my venerable
TS-950SDX's with TS-590S's. This was my first opportunity to use them SO2R.
Yeah, it doesn't have a sub-RX, but in SO2R contesting, when is that ever used
? The 590's performed beautifully. I moved most of the often-used buttons on
the 590 to keystrokes on the keyboard (thanks, N1MM Logger). Rarely had to
waste valuable time touching anything on the radio but the main tuning dial.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more attention to time-and-motion studies of
SO2R contesters. Those wasted seconds add up in the course of 24 or 48 hours.

Now that the ARRL has wised-up and is refusing to adjudicate the HQ scores,
could we please dispense with them entirely, and go back to the original IARU
contest rules, when there were no HQ mults ? I know you east-coasters would
hate to give up your HQ multiplier supremacy, but you would still enjoy a
significant advantage by working many more 5-pointers. It would be good for you
guys to look over your shoulder occasionally and see what is happening in the
rest of the non-EU world !

Antennas:
160: Vertical, sloping dipole
80: 2 el wire beam switchable NE/SW @ 110', dipole @ 110'
40: M2 40M4LLDD (4 element, linear loaded) @ 110', 2 el wire beam NW @ 40'
20: 5 el @ 65', KT36XA @ 75'
15: 5 el @ 32'
10: 5 el @ 35', KT36XA @ 75'
All antennas looking down at steep dropoff in all directions except west.

73,
Steve, N2IC