[3830] IARU K0RF(W0UA) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6rf@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K0RF(W0UA) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:41:47 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    23     0      6        2
   80:   135     0     20       13
   40:   501    33     37       32
   20:   603   348     44       42
   15:   353   100     25       26
   10:    93    31     10        7
-------------------------------------
Total:  1708   512    142      122  Total Score = 1,877,304

Club:

Comments:

This was our first M/S try in IARU.  We always avoided it because of the very
restrictive rules. Now we know why. That ten-minute rule is the worst! Scores
could have been so much better and consternation so much less. SO2R is a much
more favorable category for multipliers for those few that can really do it
seamlessly.

Having to operate SSB was also not a choice we would have made, but it turned
out to be fun. George had the opportunity to run on SSB which rivals his
running on CW. He sure can fly when the stations call. All those Qs after
spending the three days preceding the test battling the flu.

The only equipment problem was that Geo had to keep hitting the key to make
receiver come back for a couple hours before the swr to the final just went up
to infinity and stayed there. He had to move to my rig while I got after the
problem. After some troubleshooting I discovered that the band-switching
Dunestar filters had failed. I don't know yet if the band data or the actual
filters are the culprits.

It would be so cool to have a multi/multi or even M2 category. Just fixing the
M/S rules like the CQWW would be great.